Wednesday 13 January 2016

SAURAV GANGULY AND ME ....

Don't you feel the caption above a bit mysterious ??? well i am going to scribble down the relation between cricket..Saurav ganguly and me !!!! 


 I clearly remember that day of my life...it was 1997 school vacation and i was in my moms house. India - Pakistan match was playing in doordarshan and my uncle was watching it..i felt angry 

why are you watching this ??? i asked
he just looked at me...
It was a sunday and i told him i want to watch  movie 
"come here paru...sit here...this is cricket...do you want to learn ?"
I solemnly told no....Then after sometime i realised that he is not going to turn the channel..let me learn what is this game...so he began to teach me the rules and the signals umpire used...and i learned what is four and six....anyway India won that match.....


Next day morning i took paper and for the first time i read a sports page...i understood only one thing India won the  match and Sourav Ganguly was the man of the match..I looked at his picture...and i liked him... :) and it was the start...the beginning of a true fan..(yes..its me ) i always say dada rocks...

Back in home i began to watch cricket slowly i learned more from my dad and cousins ... and started a hobby perhaps the first and last one...i began to collect all newspaper cutting of dada and paste in on a note book..years passed by and also the collection of books..At one point of time i even made my parents to ask the newspaper man to put Hindu news paper as it has more colourful pics..but what i told them to convince was that i want to learn english !!!!

 I was becoming a big big fan of dada and a mad follower of him...there was a particular kind of brown paper available with cricket stars pics in it...after school i walked to MS book depot to buy that brown paper..i used only name slips of sourav gangulys pics..remaining i discarded :( ( how terrific i was ).... i wrote his name on my school bag...since i had no elder brother i considered him as my elder brother.. (i am mad ) :P . I celebrated his bday big :) I prayed for him regularly .... I was becoming a die hard fan...It was during my Xth board exams 2003 world cup was going on..i badly wanted to watch the matches but amma was very strict..she even insisted not  to read newspaper :( Though India did not won world cup i still loved his captaincy...

Later his form was getting down and people began to roar for his resignation...That time he played a wonderful innings at Candy, a perfect reply for his haters..that was what i liked in him...Next day news paper had the heading..BENGAL TIGER ROARED...CANDY SHIVERED!!!! 


 From 2003 i lived in hostels for a decade....every hostel rooms i hold a picture of dada on my wall...i had a neighbouring room mate and senior Chinnu ...and she was also a die hard fan of ganguly and she had a letter from dada which was written in his own hand writing and a picture of him and dona..how i envied her for that :( she gave me his address and told me that she got it as a reply for a letter she send to dada.....mmm i was not lucky though...

I remember the day when he become the captain of India....his  debut was against South Africa at Kochi..and India won by one run..i guess..not sure..He told media people along with Kapil dev then the coach of India.." Give me sometime...I will give you a team "....AND IT WAS A WORD- HE BUILD TEAM INDIA...he has not won world cup for India..after dhoni won it for us everyone liked him and dirty politics inside BCCI had never gave the person who made team India a good farewell party too...I never followed cricket after that..for me ..i learned cricket seeing him..and i end cricket seeing him out of team :(


 I had serious fights in social media with dhoni fans..i hate when people say if India wins..its because of msd and when India lose its because of team...But when dada was captain if India wins or lose it was a TEAM... he made Team India....he gave chance to youngsters including dhoni...he trained a good successor....he valued relationships.....that was the golden days of Indian cricket...FAB FOUR----SACHIN---GANGULY---DRAVID---LAXMAN...... I MISS YOU...INDIAN CRICKET MISS YOU.....


This writeup is not to hurt the feelings of other fans....i just wrote because i was..i am....and will be a true fan of dada...i have some more pending dreams...


  • Get an autograph from dada
  • Visit Eden Gardens when i visit Kolkata
Thanks for reading 

Yours 
Parvathy ...

Images- Google images 

No comments :

Post a Comment